7. I enjoy Star Trek unabashedly (not the classic series*).I am a little bit in love with Jean-Luc Picard and all of my students know this about me because I use Star Trek in my teaching (“Darmok” from TNG to teach metaphor, allusion and/or narrative in Intro Lit).Given I am a medievalist (and so perceived, obviously mistakenly, as dorky), publicly enjoying Star Trek does not exactly up my “cool” factor, but I have decided that this is part of my charm.
* I did my undergrad at the same university as William Shatner (not at the same time) and the student centre is called, counter to university edict, the Shatner Centre or, familiarly, Shatner. I believe its sanctioned name honours someone who actually gave money to the school, but students summarily ignore this.I love how the students have claimed their space on campus in this way.
8. In my early teens I was a professional ballet student.I believe this has given me the unique ability to withstand uncomfortable shoes for longer periods of time than is humanly decent and it has schooled me in the effective use of moleskin and lambswool (both Already Pretty and Orchids in Buttonholes have expertly covered shoe comfort just this week.OiB is continuing this week with shoe care—I’m overly excited about this. She has beautiful shoes.).
9. I was born in Australia and emigrated to Canada when I was 2. When I was 11, my Dad (who was British) and I became Canadian citizens together.We went out for lunch after the ceremony (an extravagance) and the waitress gave us free cake even though it wasn’t our birthday.This is one of my best memories.When I was a waitress I gave out as much free dessert as I could get away with.
10. Two of my favourite movies are Howard Hawks’s His Girl Friday (ellenitza recently posted about this fabulous, fastest-talking film) and Martin Scorsese’s After Hours.I like to watch them one after the other on a rainy afternoon while I ignore my work.These movies make me want to be an ace reporter in an erstwhile Chicago and an artist in an erstwhile New York City, respectively.
Here’s an unrelated picture of my cats, just because.